Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Random thoughts and a bit of an update

   Some days I wonder if I was wise to even start a blog, since I have so little time to even post. But I trust that the few posts I'll get accomplished while we're here will at least help  to satisfy the curiosity of those who wish to keep informed about our adventures in Ghana.
    It's so hard to believe that our time here is coming to an end so quickly! The first week seemed to crawl by, with all the adjustments and settling in, but wow, it sure took off from there! We have thoroughly enjoyed our time here so far. No, it is by no means all fun and games, but we're having a good time nonetheless. It has been a joy to learn to know the native staff better, to get reaquainted with the children, and meet new people. It has also been a joy to bring my family here and introduce them to the people here and to show the hubby around the place that I've grown to love. It's really fun to watch how much the little girl is enjoyed by all. The people here very rarely see a "bruny" (white) baby, and she gets all kinds of attention wherever we go. When I take her along to market, it is sometimes hard to keep moving with ladies and young children trying to stop me to touch her and talk to her. She is still frightened of native people that she doesn't recognize, but she has done quite well with meeting the many black folks around us. She absolutely loves the children at the orphanages, and gladly lets most of them carry her around. It is so much fun to see the children enjoy her so much. Today one of the 8 yr old boys told me he never saw a white baby untill he met her. I was honored that my little girl could make such an impression on them. They all fight to take turns to hold her, and love to show her everything. She really likes the attention too, probably especially since she has no doting aunts here.
    I've been quite pleased to hear the hubby say that he likes it here :) It's not the most convenient, cleanest,or most organized place to be, but there is just something about it that most people learn to love. His "occupation" here has been painting. He painted the insides of both orphanage houses, and that's quite the task given the size of the houses, and working around the children at times on top of that. Then add the heat to that yet. He has finished the insides of the houses, and plans are to start painting the outsides this week sometime. Needless to say, he isn't totally thrilled about more painting, especially outside where it will be much warmer. But he isn't complaining about the nice tan he's getting while being outside :) Yesterday he said he doesn't think he'll wish to see a paint brush or roller for a year after this. I can't say that I blame him.
     My days have also flown by at record speed. Monday is market day, and usually Mindy and I go with the house moms to market. We usually leave around 10 and don't get back untill around 2 or so. I try to get up plenty early to get all my laundry washed and out on the line before we leave, and it's usually all dry by the time we get back. ( I am very blessed to have an automatic washer at the Mercy house where we stay instead of a wringer washer) The rest of the week the days all seem to flow together. I go up to the orphanages a few times a week at least to play with the children and visit a bit with the house moms. Most evenigns we spend at least part of the evening with Levi's and Mark, and we get together for supper about once a week or so. Saturday is our day off, and we enjoy a relaxing day. Sunday evenings we always have Bible study with the staff here, and sometimes the children are also there. We also have a time of prayer, and I so enjoy those times. I have been quite challenged by the faith of the people here. It's also so precious to hear the children request prayer for things like the children that wet their beds, and then hearing them pray for each other.
    Life here is in some ways easier than in America, and in some ways harder. For example on the easier: We rarely have any plans in the evenings, therefore I'm not constantly fixing food for a gathering, church function, or rushing around to get my work finished before supper, and getting home late. Most of my days are not interupted for a last min trip to town for an appointment, etc. I have gotten a lot of reading done since we're here due to the many free evenings.  I get so see the hubby alot more here! He doesn't leave the house unitll around 8, comes back for a lengthy lunch break, and doesn't work must past 4:30. There is no constant ringing of the phone here for us :) Then there are some things that aren't as pleasant, like the big house to keep after. Since the little girl is crawling all over, I try to keep the floors swept. You can sweep and sweep and sweep here and never get it clean because of all the dust. Nothing like running a sweeper-its all tile floors. Cooking takes much more time, and there is such a limited amount of things to use in cooking. It's hard for me to be inspired about cooking here. It's been an adjustment to have to cook breakfast every morning. No cold cereal! I have yet to find a granola recipe that is do-able, and the powdered milk here does not apeal to the hubby whatsoever. The evenings get lonely at times-the flip side to having free evenings all the time. It is in the evenings that I get homesick for fellowship, girlfriends, and a night out. We've had very limited internet access, making it difficult to stay in touch with friends and family who are not able to call or text much. Those are just a few of the things that we ejnoy/find harder here in Ghana. But no matter what's harder/more inconvenient, I still love it here. Bottom line. I could go off a while on that, but I will refrain.
    Today I was thinking about some of those things here that sometimes are hard for me to get used to.. At times I get so weary of sweeping my floors several times a day, but who knows how many people living within a few miles of us would be more than happy to have tile floors to sweep instead of dirt floors. I get annoyed at the tiny refridgerator that has a shelf missing.. but there are countless people around me that would be beyond grateful for electricity, and a refridgerator would be a luxury. I become tired of trying to think of something diffrent to make for meals, when so many people would do anything to have 3 meals a day-who cares if its always eggs for breakfast and rice for supper? Those are just a few things that we have that we could be much more thankful for. I needed that reminder today.
    In other news, the little girl is still not walking. She was well on her way at Christmas time. She took about 5 steps on Christmas day, then that evening she started walking away from Mindy, fell, and busted her lip a bit. Every since she is too scared to try to take any steps without someone holding her hands or furniture to hold onto. How many times in life do I do that very same thing? How often do I allow the pain of failing or being hurt in a relationship keep me from trying again? I'm sure that given time, she will walk on her own, but it will take time to regain confidence.
   In closing, I'd like to list some things which we praise God for since our arrival. We had many fears and doubts, and it is amazing to think of how God has taken care of us, and drawn us to Himself.
  *Aside from some heat rash, diaper rash, and teething, the little girl hasn't gotten sick whatsoever! The hubby and I have also had nothing more than a headache here and there.PTL- no malaria!
   *We have not spotted a scorpion at all. (I have great fears of the little girl finding one and getting bitten)
   *The power has not gone out much at all sine we're here- a big plus to be able to always have the fans on with the weather getting warmer every day
   *Despite how different it is from the last time I was here, I can say that I have adapted, and am being stretched to greater hights
   *We have been thorougly enjoying learning to know Levi and Mindy, and have got along with them quite well. I sometimes wonder what the hubby will do without Levi and Mark to fuss with when we get home.
   *There have been no attempted robberies or anything of that sort. (Since the mission had an armed robbery about 4 years ago, the fear of it happening again is quite real)
   Those are just a few of the blessings we have encountered. Due to the lengthy-ness of this post, I will quit for now. We continue to desire your prayers as we spend the last 2 and a half weeks here. Already I feel my heart breaking at the thought of leaving this all behind again. I lean on God's grace to see me though this painful time, for the fourth time in my life. We appreciate all the emails, texts, facebook messages, etc that we have recieved. It means a lot to hear from you and to know that you are praying for us.
  

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post!!! I had to laugh when you said about the kids praying for each other and requesting prayer for the ones who wet their beds :D I can imagine! Love you and thinking of you all the time!!
    -Sue

    ReplyDelete